Today In The Fishroom~2/13/11 Partheraps Sp. "coatzacoalcos"

Subforo dedicado a nuestras sesiones fotográficas, así como técnica y equipo fotográfico

Moderador: Nandi

Responder
Aquamojo
Acuarios:

Today In The Fishroom~2/13/11 Partheraps Sp. "coatzacoalcos"

Mensaje por Aquamojo »

I just finished taking a lot of photos of this one particular species of fish. It is Paratheraps Sp. "coatzacoalcos". The fish is from the Rio Carolina in Mexico.

Acabo de terminar de tomar muchas fotos de esta especie de pescado. Es Sp. Paratheraps. "Coatzacoalcos". El pescado es de la Carolina del Río en México.

Imagen

I haven't processed all of them. I will post more when I do.

No han procesado todos ellos. Voy a publicar más cuando lo hago.
Mádgico
Moderador
Moderador
Acuarios: Nada por ahora
Contactar:

Re: Today In The Fishroom~2/13/11 Partheraps Sp. "coatzacoalcos"

Mensaje por Mádgico »

Mo, has mantenido varias especies del género Paratheraps, ¿todas tienen el mismo comportamiento? Igual agresividad, mismo instinto, etc.

Mo, You have kept some species from Paratheraps genus, are all of them with the same behaviour? Same agressiveness, same instincts, and so on.
Imagen
Aquamojo
Acuarios:

Mensaje por Aquamojo »

No. Most are aggressive to con specifics (members of the same species) and most will become aggressive during breeding. If I had to rank the most aggressive I have owned, it would be Zonatus. Mine killed all seven of his siblings. This species, Coatzacoalcos, has been described as being very Zonatus like. I separated the twelve that I own into three tanks...four in each. Hopefully i will get a pair or two.

No. La mayoría son agresivos a la estafa Características del (los miembros de la misma especie) y la mayoría se vuelven agresivos durante la cría. Si tuviera que clasificar los más agresivos que he poseído, sería zonatus. Mina mató a sus siete hermanos. Esta especie, Coatzacoalcos, ha sido descrito como zonatus muy parecido. Me separé de los doce que tengo en tres tanques de ... cuatro en cada uno. Esperemos que voy a conseguir un par o dos.
Aquamojo
Acuarios:

Mensaje por Aquamojo »

As promised here is a sampling of the nearly hundred photos that I took of the tanks. I've received a few e-mails and PM's asking if these were, in fact, the same fish being sold as Zonatus "Rio Carolina". I think the answer to that question is yes. When Rusty Wessel gave me these fish he described them as looking very close to zonatus. So I can see how the name would stick. It's a whole lot easier than writing "coatzacoalcos".

The main difference I see between these and the zonatus is the intense red spangling, in addition to the red band across the snout.
Imagen

A lot of these shots look similar...but I look for small differences in the "pose" of the fish.

Imagen

Note how a slight change in position makes the fins more luminous.

Imagen

My method of photography is to light one particular area in the tank them wither wait or draw the subjects into the light. As stated above, I moved a third of the gravel away from the front of the tank in order to facilitate a light underneath. I think it makes a real difference in the lighting of the fish...and if I didn't point it out, it might not be apparent.

Imagen

I don't shoot full tank shots. Partially becasue I think it's boring..and partially becasue it's more difficult to light evenly. Here's four of the fish that are in one tank. The lights are set for the far right. Note the fish on the far left.

Imagen

I did promise my friends here in Spain that I would shoot a few full tank shots. Here's one. I use a lot of pots, rocks and driftwood for cover. The skull was a gift from my son. :D I would prefer to see only the fish.

Imagen

Normally I would crop down to the lighted fish. In the case below the fish was so perfectly centered in the sweet spot of the light that I left the "extra" all around the fish. It looks like a spotlight hit the fish.

Imagen

Same fish, same light, same spot...side shot. You can see how these might be mistaken as zonatus. Having had both I can tell you that these fish at 3-4" are more blue and overall more colorful than the zonatus at the same size. I've seen some awesome shots of an adult pair. They are going to be stunners.

Imagen

With the group I believe I can sort male from female with male being more heavily spangled...especially across the snout...and females less and slightly less blue. Here's a female.

Imagen

Imagen

Imagen

A male....see?

Imagen

I always strive to get different poses...not really liking the side fish shot. I took a bunch of these standing back around fifteen feet from the tank and shooting with a 70-300mm zoom. Focusing wasn't the challenge. Timing the very moment when the fish turns to catch something like this...

Imagen

I was paid high praise by a very good friend of mine...who has been around CA/SA cichlids for many years. He said that one nice thing about giving fish to me is that he is certain that their growth will be documented for posterity. I enjoy photographing and posting these as much as I do keeping the fish...maybe more. Over the years I have had hundred of emails telling me how one person or another acquired the fish after seeing my photos...especially the managuense shots. For me personally, it doesn't get better than that.

Peace..........Mo
Francistrus
Moderador
Moderador
Acuarios: 650 Centroamerica, 300 "comunitario", 60 Nannacara anomala
Contactar:

Mensaje por Francistrus »

With your pics is very easy to tell apart males from females.
I really like the red dots on the head, they give a lot of contrast with the blue body.
Imagen
Aquamojo
Acuarios:

Mensaje por Aquamojo »

Thanks. It is fast becoming one of my favorite fish.
Responder